One wears different types of socks, depending on the use case – casual, formal, athletic, etc. Most people end up stockpiling many more pairs of socks than they really require. So, how do we determine what is the right number of socks one needs to have in his wardrobe?
Stuck with questions like how many pairs of socks do I need? We have an answer to this - The number of socks one needs should be equal to the number one uses regularly.
Most people use between 7-14 pairs of socks in their regular weekly cycle, plus 3-4 pairs of socks that they use only once in a while – on special occasions. Adding both, makes it between 10-20 pairs of socks – this is the most common number.
How many socks do I need?
When figuring out how many pairs of socks you need, you will first have to figure out your weekly habits. Based on that, you can easily calculate the number of socks you really require. Be sure to count all the types of socks you will need. Here is a list of things you need to keep in mind while determining this number:
- If your laundry cycle is once a week, then, make sure to have enough pairs of fresh socks to last you for these 7 days. After removing a pair of socks, they should not be re-worn before being laundered.
- If you are the kind of person who regularly exercises, then you need a separate pair, preferably athletic socks, to wear during your exercise routine. If you exercise both in the mornings and evenings, then that’s two pairs. Syncing with your laundry cycle, that means enough exercise socks to last for a week – separate from the socks that you wear to work.
- If you work from home during some days of the week, that means you need lounging or casual wear socks those days. So, you probably can manage with a lesser number of formal/corporate wear socks while needed more of the casual wear kind.
- If you’re a diabetic then you should wear special diabetic care socks rather than the usual casual or formal wear kind.
- For the fashionistas, you might want to match a separate pair of socks with every outfit. For these fashion-forward trendsetters, we advise that you budget for many extra formal/corporate and casual wear pairs. Keep shopping for matching socks every time you buy apparel.
Though we agree that each person's needs are different, we would suggest having at least ten pairs of athletic socks, ten pairs of formal/corporate socks, and six pairs of casual socks to cover a week’s requirement. Now, let's discuss how many socks you should buy.
Once you’ve worked out the number of socks you need – athletic, casual and formal/corporate, then you can always consider buying a socks combo as this usually offers you a deal price for two, three or more pairs. Remember to choose from pattern options like quirky socks, striped socks, printed socks, etc. based on your personal choice.
How Many Socks Should I Buy?
The best sock deals come with sock combo packs, and usually each combo pack contains multiple pairs of one type of sock – athletic, casual or formal/corporate. Sometimes, you can find a great deal if you buy a socks combo pack in a sock sale. Though buying extra socks is not always helpful, it makes sound commercial sense to purchase a handful of socks – maybe more than you need at present - which can then be kept aside for later. But this stockpile would need constant monitoring, as socks are a daily essential and one doesn’t want to be caught without a fresh pair when needed, or be forced to wear a worn-out ‘holey’ pair!
Keep in mind that purchasing a smaller number of socks, need based, helps in keeping your wardrobe organized and up to date. You can follow the same logic with masks - for example you can buy trending masks - like money heist masks - and keep buying more interesting designs based on need.
In reality, it is incredibly sensible to have a lesser, need-based, number of socks rather than a stockpile/overabundance of socks. This builds a habit of ‘less care for’ and ‘less interest in’ our possessions. Let’s enjoy wearing, as much as we enjoy buying! So, buy your socks regularly (each month or each week) and need-based, rather than in bulk!
Quality over quantity always:
Always make sure to fall for quality over quantity. Socks are in constant touch with your skin and are essential for foot hygiene and moisture management. Be aware of how many socks you would require on an average and spend your precious money on only that many numbers of good quality socks. Though good quality socks can cost a lot more compared to the cheaper poor-quality models, they are much healthier.
Health socks will certainly prove to be more cost-effective over time, and you will also love the high-quality features of the socks you have bought. Therefore, we at soxytoes.com offer a wide range of high-quality socks that would undoubtedly change your way of buying socks.
Never hesitate to spend on good quality socks, and witness the difference between good quality and bad quality socks.
We hope you find the perfect pair of socks at Soxytoes. Soxytoes also offers various sock combos for your own use and for gifting - as fathers day gifts, mothers day gifts and even gifts for Rakhi. Hopefully, this article will bring you a greater understanding of how many pairs of socks you really need.
The number of socks should be equal to the number one uses. Most people use between 10 -14 pairs of socks in their regular weekly cycle. This is the most common number.
Generally 6-12 pairs of socks are used in a regular weekly cycle, plus 2 -7 pairs of socks that are used for special occasions. Thus, 8-16 pairs of socks is the most ideal number of socks one must own.